Monday 8 December 2008

Pitrufquén, near Temuco, Chile: 821 kms (27820 kms)

Another incredible day on the Chilean Pan Americana that will be remembered not just for the shear distance covered in one sitting. The scenery has changed drastically this Monday from the early start in the desert north of Santiago through the wine region south of the capital to the pine trees and wheat fields in the south. We additionally sailed through Santiago on the autopista centro at 110 kph today, unheard of for a weekday one would imagine, due to the anniversary of the immaculate conception of some dude we've seen a great deal of throughout Central and South America. We couldn't have picked a better day to ride as the weather has been simply stunning: 25 degs C with blue skies and little fluffy clouds. What's more is that the daylight hours are getting far longer, mighty peculiar, for me at least, given that it's mid-December! And as if all this wasn't enough our first fuel stop of the day was marked by a Yammy drop when I went to rest my bike on a sidestand I hadn't deployed. After 95 days of riding I would've hoped I at least have this part of riding a motorcycle dialed. Matt mounted a strong come back in the fall-down stakes on the Bolivian altoplano but I continue to throw away the trophy unnecessarily. The current score now reads Stuart - 9 vs 6 - Matt, for those interested.

Puerto Montt is just around the corner and should be achieved Tuesday afternoon.

2 comments:

Paul "Bro" Duncan said...

All sounds like it's going well. Not long to go now eh! Can we have some more photos of the Andes mountains!

Cheers. And try not to drop the bike Stu

Paul

Anonymous said...

I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous - OK I'm very very jealous:)

what an adventure!

You did what we all dream about - while the rest of us sit here in the cold and freeze:)

Siggi