Monday 15 December 2008

El Calafate, Patagonia, Argentina: 256 kms (30086 kms)

Although Matt and I appear to have now landed in tourist central we have spent the last 48 hours on Ruta 40 in the middle of absolutely nowhere special. Ruta 40 has scarred us both, not to mention both Yammys, as we have riden almost 400 kms in the worst conditions we've ever experienced.

On Sunday night Matt's ability to speak a second language - I believe it's Spanish - came to the fore when he assisted a group of Israelis whose truck had overturned on the infamous Ruta 40 gravel. I would later find out just how unstable this surface is. Matt served as interpretor between the group and a hostel capabale of contacting the rescue services two hours away. If I had any ounce of decency I would forgive the fact that Matt then dropped his bike at the scene of the accident whilst relaying to the trapped, injured man that ambulance, fire and police were on their way, but I don't! Fall-down stakes score, Stuart 9 - 9 Matt.

For those unaware Ruta 40 is characterised by hundreds of kilometres of gravel that have been built up over time to form ridges parallel with the direction of the road. The key to riding this marble-like material is to find a groove between the ridges and stay in it. Unfortunately Ruta 40 is also characterised by a westerly breeze that can gust 100 kph, is strongest in mid-December and blows perpendicular to the road. Barely 20 kms into Monday's riding I was hit by a gust, mounted a perfectly formed ridge of marbles and Black Yammy is on the floor for the tenth time, my leg trapped under the bike's weight. As Matt piles in to rescue me he misjudges the balance of his bike and drops Blue Yammy to the ground as well. A Laurel and Hardy on Motorbikes comedy moment indeed. Despite being incapacitated under my bike I couldn't help but piss myself with laughter at the ridiculous nature of this whole motorcycling adventure. Fall-down stakes score Stuart 10 - 10 Matt with 5 riding days remaining.

And for those thinking of visiting Argentina in the near future be sure to save your pennies. In Ecuador it was possible to buy breakfast, lunch and dinner, a night's accomodation and a full tank of gas for $21. That same sum wouldn't get you 3 cappochinos in El Calafate. Unforgiveable even despite the breathtaking scenery we have riden through to get here.

6 comments:

Paul "Bro" Duncan said...

I've just done a google search on Ruta 40 and it sure as hell looks like a pretty barren place to ride through. No BP or Shell service stations with Marks & Spencer food I suspect.

What's the latest on the fall down stakes...?

Not long to go now

Emz said...

Oh my god! 10-10! I think my good luck wishes to Matt jinxed him! I hope neither of you fall off again before the end of the trip. Stay safe!

Emz x

Mario said...

10-10 ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

vamos ya casi llegan ¡¡¡

Anonymous said...

Hi Stuart and Matt,

As it is near the end of your trip I thought I would drop you a line to say hi. I have been reading the blog with interest and jealousy over the last few months. I hope the last few days of your trip go well, thanks for keeping me entertained over the last 4 months offshore.

This is my last trip on the Geosund and I am looking forward to Christmas at home and a new job in Jan.

Hope to catch up with you in Bergen some time, take care
Nigel

PS tried to donate to MSF but your donate bit has expired. If you can get it going again I will donate through that otherwise will do it through their website.

Anonymous said...

Hei Comrade Stu & Matt,

You will be unhappy to hear but FARC have decided to call off your kidnap. This is mainly due to manning and that we have done all our hours for the year! Union rules!

Hope your not to up set..

Comrade Jamieastos,
FARC Rebel leader (assit tea maker)
PS The real reason is we are not sure could put up with "When I was on Transamerica".... for the hundreth time.

Anonymous said...

HI chaps

just like to say it's been a pleasure logging on and seeing how you have been doing, from the photos looks like it's been an amazing trip and experience.

see you when you get back
peace