Tuesday 11 November 2008

Bogota, Colombia

November appears to be the festive season as today it's Matt's turn to have a birthday. We have thus taken the difficult decision to risk possible capture by Comrade Jamieastos and Friends and venture out this evening to sample some of the "crazy nightlife" recently mentioned in a Guardian review of the city. It seems we evaded capture at the airport (FARC Rebels 0 - 1 TransAmericas) but we may not be so lucky tonight. However, adventurers we are and we'll take our chances in the Bogota nightlife nonetheless. Should this blasé attitude to our welfare backfire donations for our ransom will be gladly received by Lloyds TSB, Oxford Branch.
Although we haven't been kidnapped yet, something that would obviously alter our opinions of Colombia irrevocably, the rumours that Bogota is unfriendly, dangerous and dirty have proved, as expected, unfounded. It could easily pass for any bustling European metropolis and we've so far enjoyed our time here. Mind you, it ain't cheap so we'll be packing up for the start of the long haul south Wednesday morning, most probably with hangovers! Our bikes arrived as planned on Monday and a comedy moment ensued as we had to ride Blue and Black Yammy out of the foyer of Girag Cargo, down their steps and into the car park. We then spent Tuesday morning here in the city changing the oil, filters and fine tuning our weapons ready for the next 10000 kms. You can't accuse us of not having culture though, as we're shortly off to visit the Museum of Gold. Hopefully something may accidentally fall into Matt's pocket that will fund future motorcycling adventures that we have both suddenly decided we have to be a part of.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Comrade Stu & Matt,

I am so embarrassed… what can I say… we had the whole thing set up… get away car, the sign “Hello Stu & Matt” welcome to Columbia, FARC Rebels (in very small letters!), but everything went wrong, first we over slept, then the traffic in Bogotá is terrible, we got stuck in a jam, and then we got the wrong people, and then, it just goes on and on... Just one of those days! I mean, I wanted a traditional “Meet & greet” but oh no, everybody else wanted, “Lets just go to the airport, maybe they are nice guys and come quietly”. It’s terrible, months of planning and you sidestep us with ease. Your professional guys… nice get away zooming off on the bikes didn’t expect that one. Just keep it simple I said, but oh no, I wanted just to wait till you get on the road, and then dive out, “Stand and deliver” and then ask you politely to come for dinner or something, but who listens to me… I feel terrible about this… your probable very disappointed with us all. A real let down! I feel let down to! Its not easy being me, I don’t have all the resources I should, the people I have to hire! They are terrible, I might as well do it all myself. I do most of the time!

Anyway, hope you like Columbia, be careful with the sugar it can be a little spicy at times.

Love & Kisses (no hard feelings)
Comrade Jamieastos
FARC Rebel Leader
Eastern Section
Columbia
PS. I am hurting tonight… I feel very little love…

Anonymous said...

Never mind Jamieastos. It appears kidnap and extortion are not your forte. Maybe you could try your hand at offshore geology!

Anonymous said...

Offshore Geology..I mean..where's the fun in that. much better to plan to kidnap westerners. At least try to anyway

Anonymous said...

Please don't mock me, I have feelings to, just keep them all inside, your worse than that French women, always going on about being the elected leader, on and on, international phone calls telling us to let here free... anyway, hope you enjoy Columbia, sorry about the riots :) Nothing personel :)

Comrade Jamieastos,
FARC Rebel Leader (assist!)
Eastern section
Columbia
PS they demoted me over this one!
PPS Looking forward to seeing you soon. Please drive slower, you guys move like the wind!